*This was sent to me in email from a rescuer I know and work with. I have
an FIV cat I rescued from a drainpipe who now lives with another friend of
mine, John, and is very sick with stomatitis.   Don't know if this will
help anyone, but it's good to pass along since FIV+ and FeLV+ cats have
problems with stomatitis:

*Last year one of our vets found literature tying Stomatitis to
Bartonella.  In fact, on the results for Bartonella now there is a
sentence saying that they have now found a connection between
Bartonella and Stomatitis in cats.  A lot of cats carry Bartonella
(also tied into heart issues which a lot of people do not realize)!
So I highly recommend checking for Bartonella before removing his/her
teeth.  The treatment is just a round of Azithromycin.  Since
discovering this connection we have had several cats with stomatitis
test positive for Bartonella and all cleared after a round of Zithro.
I found a few links and pasted below.
Julia

http://www.virginiaveterinarydentistry.com/647115.html

"An association has been established between Feline Stomatitis and a
specific bacterial organism called Bartonella. In a large study 70% of
cats with severe gingivitis/ stomatitis syndrome tested positive for
this organism. Antibiotics in routine veterinary use have no effect on
Bartonella organisms but there is an antibiotic called azithromycin
that is effective. We are now recommending that all cats with symptoms
of stomatitis or severe gingivitis should be tested and those that are
strongly positive be treated. In the same large study, more than 70%
responded favorably to treatment. Bartonella is unlikely to be a
causative organism but one that contributes to the problem. Some cats
do not test positive and some that are positive do not improve, but
the link to Bartonella is promising and most cats that we have treated
have improved substantially."

*

Love and Katnip,
*