The Chinese Medicine theory my holistic vet had was that if abx helped
(which they seemed to with my cats, and apparently with others'), then that
was cooling the fire coming from the stomach.   So, that's why the Coptis
Purge Fire helped, after initially getting the heat coming from the stomach
down to a level that the herbs could handle.   Note that with my cats,
things did not clear completely until several months after the initial abx
followed by being on the Coptis Purge Fire.