I know this isn't an FIV group but I thought I might be able to find some
helpful info.  I have two cats that have leukemia and I've been through
lymphoma and cancer with several of the positives.  This time it is my FIV+
that is having trouble.  About a month ago, we noticed a large swelling on the
side of her face.  We took her to the vet and she had a bad tooth which started
bleeding when the doctor touched it.  My vet, who I adore and who has never
steered me wrong over all the years of my leuk positives, recommended I put her
on antibiotics and bring her back to have the tooth removed.  We did that and
she had 4 extractions.  She had bloodwork and testing prior to surgery and
everything was beautiful.  No signs of anything but a dental abscess.

Following the surgery, the swelling on her face was not going away.  She has
been on very strong antibiotics (trying different kinds and multiple ones
together) and yet the mass continues to grow.  My vet started by saying she was
concerned we might be dealing with cancer.  At this point, she is fully
convinced there is a tumor growing in there.  For all my other cats, I have
pursued test after test trying to save them.  I've done chemo, I've gone to
Cornell University trying to save some of them, but ultimately the cancer
always seems to win.  So my vet said I could let her be or I could put her
under and do dental x-rays and a biopsy.  Her socket has not even healed from
her dental and my vet said she personally probably wouldn't put her through the
biopsy as we are either dealing with infection or cancer and we are both
confident this is not infection.  Has anybody else ever been through something
like this?  I don't want to put her through
 any more sedation, testing, etc. if her days are numbered but I also wonder if
I could be missing something.  My vet gave me this kitty and she loves her like
her own kitty so I'm leaning towards following her advice.  I just always
thought my FIV+ kitty might live a long, normal life and am so bummed to be
possibly dealing with cancer yet again.  Would love to hear about anybody else
that has been through oral cancer as this is one cancer that I haven't been
through before.

Thanks
Amy