For the ones who have never seen or heard of this happening, it happens
more than some might think!

 I have a cat, now, Awesome Pawsome, who was one of a litter
I socialized from a feral mom.    There were 4 kittens--two siamese, a
gray, and a tortie, in this litter.  Mom was TNR'd from a feral colony,
here in San Diego.  When tested at about 9 weeks old, all except the gray
were positive.  60 days later, only the tortie was positive.    So 1/4 of
my litter was born negative from a positive Mom. WE did not test the mom,
because the neuter scooter was out of those test tubes that day.
 However,it was discovered, post-mortem, that she was positive.  You see,
she died, at the colony, several months later.  Back to the kittens,
3/4--the negatives--were adopted out to good homes, with the understanding
that 2 had previously tested positive, but "flipped" to negatives.  All of
those kittens are still negative and alive.  One of the four, the tortie,
who was the most difficult to tame, persistently tested positive, and the
rescue I was then with, was considering putting her up for adoption, for
free--on Craigslist!  I could not let that happen to her, so I adopted her
myself, and this was about 25 months ago. She now is probably the
healthiest ,Kitty I have here, of all my fosters and personal cats, except
for the fact she is FeLV+ status.  I did almost lose her once,
to killer calici, and she had such swollen joints and was lame on all
fours, alternating 3 legs at a time, for over three months, besides the
sores, and all of the other oddities that accompany calici.   All my cats
got it, even though Pawsome lives in my room, ISO, did not come into
contact with any others...  and I almost lost her.  Other than that, she
has only had sniffles and a sneeze, which I immediately start antibiotics
at the tiniest indication of.

I do realize that she is on her third year of life, and usually
kitties don't make it this far, and dread every day she might be sick from
something minute.  I watch her like a hawk, for fear of losing her. But she
has beat the odds so far, and I hope she continues to be healthy and happy
and playful, like she is now, for a long time to come.

Kat