I believe Sharyl posted a link to this chart about testing

http://www.felineleukemia.org/felvhlth.html

My vet usually does an ELISA in house snap test. If positive we do it again
immediately to make sure the test was done right.
If both tests come out positive, we do an IFA (sent to a lab) to see if the
virus is in the bone marrow.
If the IFA is positive, the cat is positive. There is no reversing the FeLV at
that point.
If the IFA is negative, wait 90 days & re-do the ELISA snap test.
If the ELISA snap test is still positive you can re-do the IFA at that point to
see if the virus is now replicating in the bone marrow.
You can keep re-testing on the ELISA snap test unless you get a positive IFA,
but the tests are expensive.

Basically a positive IFA means the cat is definitely positive & will not shake
the virus,

The best thing is to get a vet experienced with FeLV & the testing process.

Beth