I have a FelV+ cat who is 6 1/2. He has lived in a household with 13 other cats for over 4 years. He has not had any symptoms of disease in all those years except this summer. He was fighting off something, on antibiotics and acupuncture, and I isolated him. All my rescues were not tested for Felv because the test was $50 X 13 and it wasn't going to make a difference anyway. I was still going to rescue and neuter even if they were +. They are all inside cats. When a cat is visible ill and +, I would isolate bowls and litter. But otherwise no. I vacinated my Lucy for over 12 years with the Felv vaccine and she is 17 now. I just gave up with the tests and the vaccinations. Keep them clean, well fed and regular trips to the vet. The virus is very fragile. I had the courage to mingle these guys based on others who recsued Felv+ cats with no apparent contamination to the others.

 Sep 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Lee Evans wrote:

First of all, the vets blow way out of proportion the contagious factor in FeLv. Yes, a cat can be latent, as were my Tiger Boy and Twerp. Both latent, both tested negative all their long lives, then towards the end, they got a URI plus kidney failure and both passed within days of each other at ages 13 and 14. They lived with 8 other cats. I tested periodically but none of their mates ever turned positive and all the cats in that group regularly slept together, groomed each other, ate from the same dishes and shared litter boxes. You can't make any hard, fast rules with FeLv. Your cat has been living with the other cats so it's up to you whether she should continues to do that. However, please don't have her killed just because she tested positive. As for a cat going outside and bringing in FeLv, I really don't think so. They have to have some type of long term exposure or critical exposure - like meeting a cat who is already ill from the disease and
 grooming him. It's not airborne.

________________________________
From: Susan Saunders <a4kat...@yahoo.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Positive cat

None of the other cats go outside except for the one that got out

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Susan Saunders <a4kat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Cat is now testing positive.  She was never tested as a kitten although her parents were and her littermate was. She has never been outside although one if the cats in the house did get out for about a week.  That cat and all other cats in the house have tested negative.  So is it possible that the cat that got out brought it in the house but still tests negative and this cat was exposed and is now positive?

Sent from my iPhone