There are many anecdotes on the FeLV lists of negatives accidentally mixing
with positives and never getting sick or testing positive. I saw this happen
with several of our own cats. There are posts from guardians who mixed healthy,
vaccinated negatives with positives, and the negatives stayed negative.

We know that adult cats have a certain natural resistance to the virus and are
less likely to be persistently infected. We do not know how strong this
resistance is, and for all we know, it might vary from cat to cat.

Vaccination works well. It does not prevent 100% of infections. I’ve seen
80-85% as a figure, but I’m not sure that AAFP or any other official
organization has given a number.

I would be comfortable mixing if the negative was a healthy adult and once the
negative was vaccinated. I believe the vaccine takes a little time to kick in,
too, and it might require a booster if the cat has not been previously
vaccinated. Your vet will know. I would also consider using a PureVax vaccine,
as it is (in theory) less likely to cause a fibrosarcoma to form at the
vaccination site. Your vet will be able to tell you far more about that than I
could.

Best wishes for you and Merlot,

Lance