I have mixed FELV positive cats with negatives for at least 8 years and no
problems.  My vet said that as long as the negatives were vaccinated, all would
be okay.  In the last 2 years, no one has received any vaccinations and no
problems.  Could be that as Lance said, the adults have developed an immunity.
All 4 of my cats are healthy.  I lost 3 last year due to old age (17 years),
not felv..