Boy, did that not make sense when I re-read it!

Just to be clear, I was trying to say that most people DO NOT sue at the drop
of a hat, but insurance companies have spent a lot of money trying to convince
everyone, that we have an over-litigious society. If you look into the spin
that people have been hearing for so long about nutty folks suing for
everything, you will be shocked at the truth. (For anyone interested in the
topic, I highly recommend a documentary called "Hot Coffee" to you. Watch it
and be amazed at what you will learn.)

As I mentioned to Bob, I can tell you, as a lawyer, that litigation involving
injured or killed pets is almost non-existent because it would never be
economically feasible to proceed with such litigation, unless the client is a
billionaire and doesn’t care about spending money because there is no way that
a court would award that much, even if you were able to prove that a vet was
negligent AND that BUT FOR the vet's negligence, your animal would not have
been injured or died. Obviously, with a FeLV cat, that second arm of the test
is almost insurmountable since you would have to lead evidence that, more
likely than not, had it not been for the negligence of the vet, the cat would
have been fine. This is quite a hurdle when dealing with a cat with a serious
and usually fatal infection like FeLV.

And by the way, even if money was no object and a client wanted to take
litigation forward and pay for it with no chance of remuneration at the end of
the case, most lawyers wouldn’t take it on because they would very likely be
very badly abused by judges, who would be angry that "precious" court time was
being "wasted" on a cat. You don’t want to be the lawyer who gets dumped all
over by an angry judge, saying you are wasting their time with a frivolous
lawsuit. Sadly, that is how one like this would likely be seen.

Amani