Michelle,

I had one family - mom and 3 kittens.  mom is going on
4 years old but doesn't have much time left.  she is
no longer producing red blood cells and her hematocrit
is falling.  her son hannibal is 3 years.  he has had
it since birth and his hematocrit is 10.  he probably
has only days left.  her other kittens died at 9
months and 11 months, one from anemia and one from
lymphoma.  I also had another cat die at a bit over 1
(anemia) and i have 2 adults 2-3 that are still doing
well.

I don't think many people see how anemic these cats
get.  I do blood work on all mine every 3 months so i
can see how they are doing.  almost all of mine have
died from the anemia.  has anybody figured out a way
to stop this?  my vet has researched it over and over
again.  people have told me to do the liver shake, use
pet tinic or iron supplements, etc.  i don't do any of
this because my vet tells me you can give the cat all
the iron you want but if the bone marrow can't make
the cells, it doesn't help.  I don't want to keep
giving my cats meds that don't help.  if anybody has
reversed the anemia, please let me know.  I've
considered transfusions but my vet says after 1 or 2
transfusions, you get too much cross-reactivity.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If it is not too hard, could people let me know the
> ages of their positives
> now, and the ages of positives who have passed? I
> keep being told that I was
> being unrealistic in my hope that Simon, and my
> others, would live longer than
> they did. I had heard of positives living as long as
> 14.  My Jo died at age 3,
> Buddy at age 18 months, and Simon was around 4.  My
> largest grief right now is
> about his suffering and what he went through, but I
> am also so grief-stricken
> at how short his life was. And it was short, very
> short, at 4 years old, when
> cats can live to 20. But I also feel like it was
> short for a positive, like I
> should have been able to help him live longer than
> that. I am trying to
> assess my expectations of this, regarding my
> remaining positives as well, and so
> just want to know what the age spans really are for
> positives who are well
> cared-for, so maybe I can be more honest with myself
> about what truly can be
> expected.
> Thanks,
> Michelle