I'm very sorry to hear that Simon passed. I lost Zest in December at the tender age of 7 months and then Growler at 8 months. I have two of her siblings in my care and one in rescue down in NC. They all had the same maintenance, the same veterinary care, the same procedures and so it appears to me that there is an arbitrary element to the life span. Arbitrary in the sense that it's not predictable or currently quantifiable, but I am sure that there are microscopic clues as to which cat will be healthy and which won't and they don't necessarily have to do with size and luster of coat.

I wish we knew more.