Rémi Denis-Courmont (12023-09-28):
> Strange, I thought FFmpeg really became popular as a back-end library for
> mplayer, before it was picked up by all other OSS multimedia at the time
> (gstreamer, VLC, Xine, etc.).

Fortunately, I know the history of our projects better than you:

First, FFmpeg was already a feature-rich self-contained program when
MPlayer started using it.

Second, MPlayer did not start using it FFmpeg as a library, it started —
and still does in part — using it as embedded code.

Too bad your attempt at disproving my point just proves it.

> Force-feeding the SDR code to all FFmpeg packagers is not going to make it
> popular. Most of them will just disable it, especially if it brings new
> dependencies and/or doesn't work on the popular proprietary platforms.

So, they can “just disable it” and ignore it. They have no ground to
oppose, and neither do you.

> FWIW, Fabrice Bellard didn't bundle all his initially hobby projects
> together.
> Several of them became popular.

He bundled together the things that fit nicely together. Once again an
argument in favor of SDR integration.

--
  Nicolas George