On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 03:44:46PM +0100, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 2:31 PM Lynne <d...@lynne.ee> wrote:
>
> > Feb 29, 2024, 02:50 by vittorio.giov...@gmail.com:

> > > IMO there is a big difference between a game codec and an experimental
> > > codec that hasn't come out of ffmpeg
> > >

> > We offer support for it. Someone must have used it.
> > I'm sure there are less used game codecs we support than Sonic.
> >

> the point here is that game codecs are part of digital preservation and and
> effort against digital obsolescence

> an "experimental codec" that nobody (read: a very limited amount of users)

Every codec we develop is experimental and used by nobody
then by nobody outside ffmpeg
and if we dont allow this then we can never create a new codec.

FFv1 would not exist if we could not have added it at ta time
noone used it. FFv1 would not have become widely used if it was in
someones personal repository and main FFmpeg did not support it

thx

[...]

Take away the freedom of one citizen and you will be jailed, take away
the freedom of all citizens and you will be congratulated by your peers
in Parliament.