Mar 1, 2024, 19:59 by an...@khirnov.net:

> Quoting Lynne (2024-02-29 14:30:55)
>
>> We offer support for it. Someone must have used it.
>> I'm sure there are less used game codecs we support than Sonic.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Is there any evidence that it was used for anything other than
> development and testing? That anyone has any actual samples in it they'd
> like to play?

There's always the possibility that someone encoded samples years
ago and deleted the originals. Same as with Snow.

My only concern is that this sets a sensitive precedent to get rid of
old codec code with low weight under unclear conditions. Where do
we draw the line?
SMPTE? ISO/IEC standardization? IETF? AOM?
Having *a* spec (Sonic doesn't, but neither did FFv1 until a few years
ago)?
A single company pushing for it many years ago with no spec,
like SpeedHQ, or the many niche lossless/intra-only codecs?

Or simply having one single implementation in FFmpeg, and no spec at all,
and having an experimental flag, and no activity for a very long amount of time?

If it's the last case, or simply being a one-off, I can agree with deprecating
and remove it next bump. But if the developer thinks they will have time and
have motivation to work on it in the future, I think we should leave it at just
deprecation plus disabling  building the encoder by default, until the issue is
brought up again at say, after the next version bump.
After all, CELT started out more than 10 years before Opus was standardized,
and its EC code has made it all the way to AV2 despite its core remaining
visibly similar over the years. And FFv1 was used as an inspiration for FLIC,
which went on to become JPEG-XL.