On 29.09.20 09:56, Christian Ebert wrote:
How about doing quick diagnosis with ffprobe before you start,
something like:

ffprobe -v error \
-print_format default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 \
-select_streams V -show_entries stream=pix_fmt

and make the command depend on the result?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that actually is what I'm doing right now - yet it means to treat parts of the batches with different conditions/recipes.

Additionally, in that concrete situation, the source videos (several thousand...) are stored on an S3-type object based storage (non-Amazon dialect). So used Mediainfo to avoid having to pull several hundred Terabyte of videos just to get their tech-MD.

And Mediainfo cannot tell me what FFmpeg considers yuvj420p, because...
Even if it wasn't for the "S3-extra-fun", I'm running into this issue every now and then in different video collections - and every "if - then - else" adds extra points of failure (and work).

You see my challenge? :)

Kind regards,
Peter