* Peter B. on Thursday, October 01, 2020 at 14:16:02 +0200:
On 29.09.20 09:56, Christian Ebert wrote:
How about doing quick diagnosis with ffprobe before you start,
something like:

ffprobe -v error \
-print_format default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 \
-select_streams V -show_entries stream=pix_fmt

and make the command depend on the result?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that actually is what I'm doing right
now - yet it means to treat parts of the batches with different
conditions/recipes.

I would be very surprised if you could use the same command on
thousands of videos.

Additionally, in that concrete situation, the source videos (several
thousand...) are stored on an S3-type object based storage (non-Amazon
dialect). So used Mediainfo to avoid having to pull several hundred
Terabyte of videos just to get their tech-MD.

What's wrong with that? But then again I don't understand: You
want to process _all_ the thousands of files, so you need them
anyway?

And Mediainfo cannot tell me what FFmpeg considers yuvj420p, because...

If you can run Mediainfo on them (remotely?), I'd be surprised if
you couldn't run ffprobe on them - and if you haven't
built/installed ffprobe, even parsing `ffprobe -i input` lets you
detect the pix_fmt.

Even if it wasn't for the "S3-extra-fun", I'm running into this issue
every now and then in different video collections - and every "if -
then - else" adds extra points of failure (and work).

I would think if - then - else is the way to _avoid_ points of
failure, but most likely I don't understand you setup and/or
intent, sorry.

Good luck.

--
LAST SHIP HOME                      --->> https://lastshiphome.de
Official Selection                          DOK.fest München 2018