Well, I'll cast my vote in with the Ertoel being a very quiet machine.  It's
why I lusted after one for myself, that and its pretty finish.  If I'm going
to sit or stand at something for hours on end, it may as well be attractive!
I also kind of like being able to either sit or stand to spin.  The Ashford
seemed a tad noisier to me, and someone who played on my demo Ertoel said it
was quieter than the SpinTech, but I can't say for sure since I've not spun
on a SpinTech.

I stand corrected on the SpinTech's pedigree.  Several someones told me
that, so I believed them.  But is the Alden Amos still being made?

Okay, so now the electric spinners aren't fast enough?  I learned lace
spinning from Margaret Stove ona 3:1 ratio Louet hatbox wheel!  And the only
problem I had with it was that because of its design, it tended to fall
over.  I'm not sure if you can directly compare a spindle wheel like the Rio
Grande or even a charkha to a flyer/bobbin wheel.  That's a whole 'nother
way of spinning.  I've got a spindle wheel too, but I go back to a
flyer/bobbin wheel for my laceweight Shetland, I guess just noodling along
at 1/4-1/2 speed on the electric, or on one of the mid range whorls (maybe
at 12:1) on one of my other wheels, or (horrors) at 4:1 on my mystery
Hebridean style wheel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Suzanne at Fire Ant Ranch in Elgin, Texas
Journey, Ertoel Electronic, Majacraft, Fricke
Fibers, Yarns, Goods.  www.fireantranch.com

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to