I did some testing and can confirm that what Jim wrote below only tells me
whether a path has an auto-mount trigger, but not whether it's actually
reachable at the moment.

So far, to tell if the volume is actually available I must try to read its
content. Often I would then get an error returned for off-line vols
immediately, and sometimes the call would take a long time before I get the
error, which means that it tried to contact the server, waiting, and
eventually timing out.

What bothers me is that the "automountd" daemon maintains a state of
whether the volume is currently accessible or not, and it silently keeps on
checking if the server is reachable. I had hoped that this state would be
communicated thru the BSD APIs, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Bummer.

Thomas