On 5 Mar 2016, at 07:07, tridiak <trid...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> My question : is the ID of the new name always guaranteed to +1 the ID of the
> old name?

Definitely not.

What's your high-level goal here?  If you're just interested in a single file,
James's suggestion would work.  If you're trying to monitor an entire hierarchy
of files, you're going to have to rethink you're assumptions.  FSEvents is
designed to notify you about events in the file system so that you can then go
look in the file system to find the current state of things and sync based on
that.  It's not designed to feed you a stream of events with sufficient
fidelity to reconstruct how the file system go into its current state.

Think about its primary clients, namely Time Machine and Spotlight.  Both of
them treat the files on disk as the truth and use FSEvents solely to be
notified of changes.

Share and Enjoy
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                    <http://www.apple.com/developer/>
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware