> On Mar 7, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Thomas Tempelmann <tempelm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM, James Bucanek <subscri...@gloaming.com
> <mailto:subscri...@gloaming.com>> wrote:
> That is, I can create a bookmark for a file, rename/move that file, and the
> bookmark will still find it.
>
> A problem only comes up when the user moves or renames the file and then
> creates a new file in the original place, and then you try to resolve the
> bookmark. At that point, we should be able to choose whether to prefer the
> item found by its ID or by its path. And if I understand Jim right, then this
> isn't possible any more - the OS makes a choice for us, and we don't know
> which (well, we can find out empirically).

Paths are always preferred over fileIDs during bookmark resolution. Resolving
by fileID is a fallback when nothing is found at the path.

> At least, for now, bookmark files still use the old Alias record format, and
> I've specifically written my own code to decypher them in order to be able to
> extract both the path and the ID so that I can find the file myself using the
> way of my choice. In fact, it allows me to detect if there's a file at both
> places, and I can alert the user to give him the choice.

The last version of OSX which wrote Alias Manager alias records into files with
CFURLWriteBookmarkDataToFile() or +[NSURL
writeBookmarkData:toURL:options:error:] was OSX 10.9. In OSX 10.10 and later,
those files have no resource fork (and thus no 'alis' resource).