I'm in the opera world, and the opera snobs get all bent out of shape when Groban is marketed as "classical" or, worse, "operatic", which he surely isn't.

I think the fact that he is sort of out of place in time is interesting. The most popular male singers of this day are so far removed from what Groban does that it makes him seem to some a "classical" singer". However, in your world, he is a crooner. This makes me smile because in my world he is pretty far from being a real crooner, even like one of the square guys you referenced. Either way, it's like you've said: he's a throwback. It is his innate personality that is lifting him up to mainstream popularity, I think. I heard real estate brokers talking about him in the office, people mostly in their thirties who are so obsessed with their work that I've never heard them talk about anything else before.

If this were, oh, 1962, he would be in the company of Robert Goulet and Sammy Davis, Jr., and a large number of others like them, and he wouldn't stand out so much.

Crystal Premo