On 3 Mar 2005 at 16:05, Simon Troup wrote:

> > Actually, I don't care enough about the secrecy of my libraries even
> > if I have spent a lot of time on them, and I DO give them away to
> > anyone who asks, particularly colleagues and students. If they like
> > my settings and copy them, then the world just may be a cleaner,
> > neater, more understandable place for musicians around that person,
> > and I am comfortable with that. I have benefitted from more
> > experienced fellow Finale users sharing their settings, techniques
> > and libraries, and I will freely pass them on for the benefit of the
> > world at large (yes my ego really is that big!)
>
> That's great, and I applaud the intent, but I'd be worried that the
> files would be passed to a spotty teenager paid a little over 12 grand
> for doing the job in house half as well for people who frankly aren't
> very good at seeing the value added elegance that I provide in the
> first place. (Breeaaaathe).

Nicely-tweaked libraries to not make a good engraver.

Good engraving goes well beyond such minor issues. Yes, good
libraries make a good engraver better, but by themselves they
certainly do nothing to create a well-engraved piece of music.

I definitely believe that the "soft skills" that make a good engraver
cannot be "stolen" by someone who simply has access to the file
produced by the good engraver. There's simply much more to the
process than a few well-chosen settings.