d. collins wrote:

In other words, you accept the fact that six months from now, or six years, or any time, you might no longer be able to use the copy of Finale you purchased

The real issue is not whether or not one can continue to use Finale; it is whether one can access the information in a given set of Finale files. Neither the survival of Finale, nor the creation of an Escrowed untether is the critical step in the process here, in my opinion. The truly critical element here is for each user to make certain that every data file considered critical are stored in an accessible format. To that end, I'd submit that ~.mus files are not as good a choice for long term archival purposes as ~.etf files. And just from a practical standpoint, I'd guess that for each and every user, the likelihood of losing accessiblity to data files as a result of natural catastrophe, operator error, or of hardware, or of media failure is orders of magnitude higher than the likelihood of the failure of MakeMusic! So instead of demanding a escrow scheme, it seems to me that a prudent user is going to have redundant copies of all data files, and software in diverse locations. In my case, I have three copies of my critical ~.ETF files, in widely separated locations, and the archived old version distribution disks also distributed among those locations.

ns