Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 09 Mar 2005, at 5:30 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

But I pretty much hate opera, so I'd best disqualify myself from *that* discussion.

Well, if you must know, I pretty much hate jazz.

You know, it strikes me that both Mark's attitude and mine are pretty characteristic. The number of jazz musicians I know who are into opera is vanishingly small, and I've found very few classical singers who enjoy instrumental jazz. The exceptions on the latter score tend to be light-voiced singers who do almost exclusively new music and hate traditional opera even more than I do.

This rule even seemed to hold for the other employees of the classical record store where I worked, who were mostly classical instrumentalists -- the ones who liked opera tended to be uninterested in instrumental jazz, and vice versa.

I wonder why that is?

They feel threatened by what they don't understand?