On 19 Mar 2005 at 20:19, Ken Moore wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> David W.
> Fenton writes:
>
> >On the other hand, notating it as a full measure with a rest would
> >tend to obscure the "upbeatness" of the entire measure.
>
> Do you have a view on Elgar's "Cockaigne" overture, the first bar of
> which starts with three quarter rests?

Don't know it.

But it sounds like something designed for the performers (to get them
to perform in a certain way) than for the listeners. It would all
depend on how the beginning relates to what's done with the same
material later on (assuming it returns).

These kinds of things always seem to me to be the types of subjects
over which self-style musical connoisseurs go orgasmic over, but
which have little practical effect on the listener. Sometimes this
kind of thing is put into a composition to fix some formal structure
(e.g., the measure of rest in the fugue of Bartok's Music for
Strings, Percussion & Celeste, put there in order to make sure
everything comes out in the correct number of measures to conform to
the Golden Section), things which often are not perceptible to a
listener (consciously or unconsciously).

Also, I think that sometimes these arguments about "upbeat" feeling
bleed over into conversations about phrasing in general. We often use
the word "upbeat" metaphorically (or at a "meta" level) to refer to
measures or phrases within larger structures, and I think this tends
to obscure what's a pretty basic and straightforward concept when
applied at the beat level.