At 4/15/2005 11:46 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

>Well, this isn't a howl of outrage, but I find the tenor clef useful.
>If a part on bassoon, cello, or trombone sits consistently in a range
>where large numbers of ledger lines can be avoided in bass clef, I
>would use it.

Notice:  I only know about treble clef instruments.

But, flute (and clarinet) parts often range in multi-ledger zone places for long periods of time.

I find that much easier to read, than, say, 8va basso. I would get totally lost in such a situation.

So, I am wondering if this is also true of those above mentioned instrumentalists.

Or are we only talking about professionals?

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley