Christopher Smith wrote:

Yet my concern about slowdown holds even more with a new beam algorithm. Even now, I often find myself "getting ahead" of Speedy Entry. I discovered, disconcertingly, that Finale "remembers" the numeric keypad keys I hit for rhythmic values in sequential order (as you would expect) but DOES NOT remember what MIDI note I was holding down at the time I hit the number key!

Well, I do not not expect Finale to remember the MIDI note I was holding when I hit the number key. If Finale is "well behaved" that is, if it follows the rules and conventions established for the Operating System, what seems to be Finale "remembering" entries in the numeric keypad, is actually an artifact of Finale getting the next keystroke in the Keyboard buffer of the O.S. I can't say whether it is possible, or rather how difficult it would be, for Finale to implement a shadow MIDI key buffer that could be somehow linked to the OS keyboard buffer, so that when Finale gets the sixteenth item from the keyboard buffer, it also gets the sixteenth item from the MIDI buffer.

If Finale has a more complex beaming algorithm than it presently does, no doubt this problem will get worse.

I doubt that, as the beaming algorithm is strictly computation and followed by redraw, and the problem you describe, of numeric keypad entries not matching the correct pitches is a hardware / OS problem.

ns