David W. Fenton wrote:
On 8 Jul 2005 at 23:00, Owain Sutton wrote:

David W. Fenton wrote:

I don't see what double decimal point precision of tempo markings
accomplishes in that regard.

I can't see any obvious meaning to 60.75.

I gave an explanation of this earlier - but to summarise, it's derived
as a 9:8 ratio from Q=54.

You seem to not understand the meaning of the word "obvious."

Wouldn't it be more clear to just state the ratio, rather than using a metronome marking that is completely impossible to get from a metronome, or to perform, or to perceive?

It's a proportional relationship between the parts of the piece, so why should it not be represented as a proportion? Why obscure that fact by converting the proportional relationship to something else?

Because of what I've said elsewhere, that some of these markings are approached via accel/rit instructions. How would you show the proportional change, given this added element?