On 9 Jul 2005 at 7:35, Owain Sutton wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > But it tells me *nothing* about how to perform it. I just ignore the
> > extra, useless decimal places and play Q = 60 and measure out as
> > close to exactly 1 teaspoon as I'm able. If that's going to be the
> > result, I just don't see what is accomplished by going into decimal
> > places.
>
> If the decimal places were not used, it would obscure the intention,
> which is a 9:8 increase in tempo from the previous section. . .

That criticism is only relevant if you limit yourself to metronome
markings as the only way to indicate the proportional tempo increase.

> Indicating the change precisely, to me, makes it clear that this is
> what is to be attempted (and having read his writings, know that's
> what he intends with such indications). . . .

You would automatically recognize the 60.75 as a particular ratio in
comparison to the previous metronome marking? Gee, you must be one of
those Rain Man math whizzes.

> . . . And even if the change were
> indicated with this ratio rather than a decimal, it would not be
> played precisely.  Nor would Q=60, not without a click-track.
>
> If NO alternative is going to be following robotically, why not use an
> option which shows the ideal realisation?

If it said 9:8 (Q=60.75), I'd have no objections. It's the use of the
Q=60.75 by itself that is nonsense.