On 27 Jul 2005, at 12:32 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Jul 27, 2005, at 5:53 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

Where do you keep those files? I have never experiences a problem like this. You should keep your OS 9 files somewhere inside the documents folder

Ah, but you see, I don't--I keep them in the Finale folder, which I keep at root level, since it's the most important folder I have, in terms of things I actually work with.

You can't do that in OS X. It will absolutely cause problems. I believe David Pogue says this quite clearly in his OS X book, which you own, and have presumably read.

For crying out loud, of *course* you need to fix permissions on all your Finale files, if you are storing at the root level of your HD! The root level of your HD is *not* for your applications and documents!

And I'm not about to change that,

One more time: UNIX does not work like this. You cannot put folders any old place you choose. But, as I have already explained, you can use *aliases* to your heart's content to get exactly the same functionality. So by all means, put an alias to your Finale folder at the root level of your HD. And put an alias to your Finale documents folder inside your Finale folder. But you absolutely *must* put your physical Finale folder inside the Applications folder, and the physical Finale documents folder inside ~/Documents. You want to see them in other locations, fine -- use aliases.

I've been using OSX for, what, 2 years now and never once felt any need to run Disc Utility for *any* reason. Something actually goes wrong, I'll use it.

Three things have already going wrong:

1) You have to manually change permission on all of your Finale files to access them.
2) You can't install the Flash player because of a permissions error.
3) Despite the fact that you've mangled permissions on your machine by manually tweaking them without a clear idea of what you were doing, you cannot run repair permissions because you've put all kinds of stuff in places they don't belong.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY