A-NO-NE Music wrote:

I definitely think it's worth a lot.
I am just having too much fun with it.

I too was never able to compose with computer before in my life.  I
always needed to sit down in front of piano with pencil and paper, but I
jut wrote second movement of the one I wrote yesterday.
<http://homepage.mac.com/madflute/.Music/FinMac2006_Mov2.mp3>

This is not much of a composition, but rather improvisational since I
spent only 4 hours from the start.

What I want to show you here is that this score has only notes(!).  No
expression nor articulation.  There are only 3 trills (which isn't
coming out as I wrote, however), and that's it.

FinMac2006 HP is doing great job with FinGPO here.

Did I say I am having too much fun?
Darn, I have a couple projects past due!

My knee-jerk reaction in the past would have been, "Yes, the upgrade is worth it, even if only for the below-the-surface improvements" but with this one I'm not sure.

I remain unsold on the benefit of GPO -- with my 1.8GHZ P4 system with 1GB ram, I am hearing audio artifacts of playback and often incorrectly played rhythms until I have initiated playback 3 or 4 times, if anything at all is running in the background. But lots of others are raving about it, so I have to accept that for my setup it isn't that good. I also don't agree that the samples are that much better than the soundfont. Some are better, some are worse (this is all subjective, and refers to my concepts of tone only -- obviously not everybody shares my opinion, crotchedy as it is).

The new plug-ins such as the mid-measure repeat will be very helpful for a lot of the music I do. I don't work with melismatic choral music very much so I haven't tried that plug-in yet and can't speak for how well it works.

I am coming to feel that I didn't completely waste my money on this upgrade, but I also feel that I haven't gotten my money's worth. If you don't use playback for anything other than proofing your scores, you really have to weigh the benefit you would get, vs. the cost. Also, even if you DO use playback, if your machine isn't really powerful you still have to weigh the benefit you would get since the bulk of the upgrade has to do with GPO integration.

But, remember that there are always ongoing under-the-surface improvements. Some Mac users are commenting on this upgrade being slower. I'm on windows and I don't notice any slowdown.

You might consider waiting a bit and seeing how things play out on this list once all the GPO exhiliration and frustration have died down, and we get back to looking under the hood and commenting on issues that would be more germane to you.

So far there's nothing I can see about this upgrade which I haven't been able to accomplish in earlier versions.

--
David H. Bailey