On 6 Aug 2005 at 14:23, Aaron Sherber wrote:

> At 01:46 PM 08/06/2005, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
>  >Let's say I want to back  up data, and I want to use a CDR Disk.
>  Can >I use a CDR Music Disk,
>
> No.
>
> All CDRs start out the same, what we call a data CDR. If you use a
> blank CDR to make an audio CD (one that will play back like a regular
> CD, not a CD with WAV or AIFF files), there's some kind of switch that
> gets set which marks it as an audio CD.
>
> If you buy preformatted audio CDRs or music CDRs, these are data CDRs
> which *already* have this switch set, and there's no way to unset it.
> The only thing these CDRs are good for is making audio CDs to be
> played on a CD player. You cannot use them to back up any kind of data
> files, including Finale files.

This is not true. A "music CD" is simply a completely unformatted CD.
A data CD, on the other hand, has been formatted with a particular
file system.

A client of mine needed a CD-R and the store nearby had only pre-
formatted music disks. Those worked just fine used as data CDs.

The other difference, I believe, is that you pay extra for "music
disks" because there are royalties paid on those that are divided up
between musicians/performers, on the theory that the disks will be
used to make copies that will take away from sales of original music.

I have never seen preformatted data disks, though.