David W. Fenton wrote:

On 10 Aug 2005 at 17:58, Darcy James Argue wrote:

I forgot to add, when addressing someone's question, lots of people reply to the replies (not the original), so even if the list was configured to automatically reply-to the individual as well as the list (which it isn't), digest subscribers _still_ wouldn't see many responses to their queries until the next edition of the digest is published.

Well, that's their choice, now isn't it?

Why would you want to make life more difficult for Digest readers by suggesting that no one should bother trimming their quotations?

What does it cost you to agree that cutting quotations to the minimum is A Good Thing? Or how can you argue that it is a bad thing just because you personally believe that nobody should be subscribed to the Digest? That would be like me asking MakeMusic to remove the features I don't use in Finale just because I can't see why anyone would need them (e.g., Simple Entry).

Darcy didn't disagree with trimming messages. He only raised an oblique issue questioning why anybody would receive the digest.

In his original message he began with "While I'm all for more selective quoting," so I don't understand why you're construing his tangential discussion of the relative merits of receiving individual messages as indicating that he doesn't agree with Andrew's point about better trimming.

--
David H. Bailey