On 28 Sep 2005 at 23:01, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 22:35 Uhr David W. Fenton wrote:
> > Well, it depends on how it's doing it. The only thing I could figure
> > out how to do on the software I downloaded was real-time analysis of
> > something playing on my PC. This, of necessity, would included the
> > basic noise and distortion built into my PC's audio system.
> 
> No it wouldn't. It's analysing the digital code being streamed from
> the soundfile. Unless it is doing something very unusual there is no
> way the audio system inside your PC (which does everything from DA
> conversion onwards, but nothing before it) could have any influence on
> the analysis.

The tools I downloaded all required me to play the file in some other 
program in order to get the waveform (instead of reading it directly 
from the file). This means that those programs were capturing the 
output from my soundcard, which means that this output would include 
the distortion introduced by the sound shape of my soundcard. I saw 
it in the one application, where with no sound playing, there was 
some very low level activity in the extreme ranges of low and high.

I did not find any programs that I could use that would load the 
waveform directly -- all the ones I found captured it from playback.

So, you are simply wrong about what you're saying.

> How else would you analyse a sound file than in realtime? You cannot
> make a frequency analyis without playing the file, since there are no
> frequencies actually recorded in the file, all that is recorded is
> many, many, many snapshots of the soundwave. Any of these snapshots
> only gives the coordinates for a single point of the curve.

But the question is how you convert the digital data into an analog 
waveform. That doesn't have to involve capturing the output of my 
soundcard -- it can be derived from analyzing the actual data itself, 
though, yes, it would need to be done in real time.

> Frequencies only come into play when the soundfile is played back or
> otherwise analysed with respect to time.
> 
> Whatever the software is doing it is definitely dealing with the
> digital data, not with any analogue translation of it.

Sorry, but you are just wrong about this because you are talking 
about what you are familiar with and not the programs that I was able 
to test (as opposed to the ones I couldn't use, such as the ones that 
were packaged as AU plugins).

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to