On 29 Sep 2005 at 12:39, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 28.09.2005 23:39 Uhr Lee Actor wrote:
> > You are right that the software of necessity must analyze the
> > digital stream before the D/A conversion, Johannes.  However,
> > real-time playback is not necessary to do a spectrum analysis.
> 
> I realize that. However, I got the impressions that David assumed that
> one could make a spectrum analysis of any given point in time of an
> audio file. That is not the case, since frequency is dependent on
> time, or rather on change, not status.

No, I had made no such assumption. I am interested only in the 
profile of an entire piece, as shown in the wonderful graphs that 
Hiro has been making. I'd like to be able to do the same thing, but 
none of the tools I downloaded (freeware, shareware, demos of $$$-
ware) either worked or could analyze a file except by capturing 
playback from my soundcard (unless the UIs were just not set up in a 
way that allowed me to figure out how to use them to do what I 
wanted).

I think you certainly recognize that if the spectrograph analyzer is 
looking at the playback of the file rather than the file itself that 
the result will include distortion introduced by my soundcard.

Which is what I said all along, and, I thought, pretty clearly. Just 
goes to show that when one is speaking of a subject in which one 
lacks experience and expertise that it's easy to be misunderstood.

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to