> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
> Of Johannes Gebauer
> Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:08 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: MP3 Compression Comparison
>
>
> On 29.09.2005 23:41 Uhr David W. Fenton wrote:
> > >So they listen for the soundcard input? How did you feed the MP3 into
> > >> that?
> >
> >
> > I had to initiate playback in an MP3 player, and tell it what device
> > to listen to.
>
> Yes, but you still haven't answered my question: how did the output get
> to the input? Inside or outside the computer? Ie, did you connect the
> output to the input?
> >
> >
> > >> It was not clear to me that these applications could not open
> > files.
> > >> But it is still not clear to me how you actually manage to play any
> > >> files through them.
> >
> >
> > I said this in my first posts explaining that none of the software
> > I'd tried worked for me. You just missed it, obviously.
> >
> Well, from your post, which I just re-read just to be sure, I understood
> that the analysis software came as a plugin, and you used that inside
> other software which played back your MP3 file. That's actually the most
> common way for such analysis software to work these days, so it is not
> all that ridiculous for me to assume this was the case. In such a
> scenario your soundcard would indeed not have played any role in the
> process.
>
> Whatever the case, I really, really think that my posts were perhaps
> annoying to you, but in no way offensive or abusive. I was merely trying
> to help you.
>
> Your post, on the other hand, was, imho, completely unacceptable on a
> forum like this, and I really ask you to come to your senses and learn
> some manners. It really p§$%$sses me off how you treat others, including
> me, who only tried to help you. You do this at almost regular intervals.
> Any normal discussion you enter will almost certainly end with you
> offending others. It is completely unneccessary and not asked for.
>
> Sorry to others for letting off some steam.
>
> Johannes

As I posted to Kurt on this list a few days ago, Johannes, it is an utter
waste of your time to attempt to help David Fenton in any way whatsoever.
Do yourself a favor and ignore all his posts; each day will be a little bit
brighter if you do.  You are certainly not alone in the sentiments expressed
above, judging from the email I've received off-list in response to my
previous post on this subject.

On the technical point under discussion, you are of course 100% absolutely
correct.  The software must "listen" to the digital data stream going into
the sound card; the only "output" from the sound card is the post D/A analog
waveform sent to the speakers, which of course is not available to any
software (other than your generous allowance for the possibility of an
external loopback to a digital input, which you were roundly ridiculed for
suggesting).  This is pretty basic stuff.

Life is too short to waste on the arrogantly ignorant.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to