I had no idea how this thread got so wrong.  It's all started with what
encoding to chose for Finale output, right?

Lets go step by step.
Metering software has two usages, one is for FOH or tuning control room,
which analyze the signal coming from reference microphone.  This is _analog_.

FFT is used to compare the output signal on one channel and measured
_analog_ signal on the other.  The reference pink noise would be
produced from the metering application within.

Another application is to analyze the mix/master product.  The plug-in
is the common format since it intercept the signal in real-time within
DAW.  But this can be somewhat inaccurate (except TDM) since it most
likely intercepting floating point signal instead of integer signal.

I have dedicated metering machine which receives signal from DAW
machines as digital via light pipe, 8 ch or 4 ch SMUX if double sampling rate.

If you want to do the latter within one CPU, you have to make an inter-
audio driver link between source application and the metering
application unless metering application has a capability of playing back
the sound file.  Alternatively, if your sound card has digital IO, and
is 24 bit then you can create digital loop to do this.  Assigning audio
file playback app's output to digital out, and metering software's input
to digital in.  This way, the bit-to-bit data should be passed on.

I only know for Mac side, but MacOSX has CoreAudio framework, and there
are many free apps such as Soundflower that connects them.  For example,
I can assign output of QuickTime to Soundflower instead of my MIO2882
+DSP interface, then assign metering software input to Soundflower.  We
did have a thread that there are Windows equivalent of this.  I don't
remember what they are called, tho.

-- 

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to