On 4 Nov 2005 at 4:55, John Bell wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2005, at 02:06, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 3 Nov 2005 at 16:13, Chuck Israels wrote:
> >
> >> Well, that is true of me, but Gary is a neighbor (on an island I
> >> see from my window), and I benefitted from that and the fact that I
> >> recorded jazz bass samples for him.  Still, I'd have been glad to
> >> get the GPO "lite" that comes with 2006.  It's such an improvement
> >> over what Andy Homzy calls "the little kazoo band" we used to have
> >> to hear, and it requires little fussing.  What fussing it allows is
> >> pretty transparent in how it works.
> >
> > I don't understand remarks like this. No one was ever limited to the
> > soundfont that Finale started providing with Finale 2004. especially
> > when you consider that Finale *didn't* provide it before then.
>
> I do understand remarks like this. Those of us who are reluctant to
> spend a lot of time making audio demos, but who nevertheless welcome
> the opportunity to easily make some sort of soundfile for our clients
> or ourselves from Finale scores welcome the new features of Fin2006. . .

Well, you're conflating TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ISSUES. Chuck didn't
talk about creating audio demos from Finale. Indeed, I'd think that
would not be something that interests him. He was talking about
playback as a useful help to his composing, and saying that GPO now
made it pleasant and useful because it had banished the "Little kazoo
band."

Well, for pure Finale playback, my point is that nobody was ever
limited to a mere kazoo band -- your playback experience was limited
only by what synthesizer(s) you provided for Finale to playback
through.

> . . . I
> already used GPO prior to Fin  2006. Setting up all the sounds for
> every score was rather time- consuming in the past. Fin 2006
> integrates GPO in a way that makes it  easy.
>
> If you don't use GPO you may well turn up your nose at this. Maybe
> you are right in that case to give Fin 2006 a miss.

I *can't* use GPO because I don't have a computer that could run it.

But it would also be useless for all my existing files, which are
already tweaked for General Midi playback.

Further, I don't find the GPO sounds all that impressive themselves.
Yes, the integration with Finale and with Human Playback makes it
possible to get more of the subtleties of your notated score into the
synthesized performance without tons of hand tweaking, and that's
useful, but it's not of much use if I could only use it on all my new
pieces, and if I'd only be able to use it if I bought a new computer.

And, frankly, it's not something *I* need.

But, I clearly stated that I understand why it's in Finale, because a
lot of people *will* find it useful.

Certainly, when I save to MIDI then create a WAV file by playing back
the MIDI file through MIDI2WAV, it would be easier if I could do that
direct from Finale (though I probably wouldn't, because Finale
doesn't actually play back as weel as most other MIDi players -- it
still has the non-legato problem, with a small amount of space added
between all the notes).

So, I'm not disputing that GPO is useless. It's certainly not in the
class of the other list of add-ons that started this thread.