On 16 Nov 2005 at 6:49, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Ah, here's a related question -- I'm running Windows 98 under Virtual
> PC, both because it's the only version of Windows I own, and because
> anything more recent performs rather horribly in emulation.
>
> Finale 2006 seemed to install okay under Windows 98, but then when I
> tried to launch it, it said it's missing a DLL and refuses to start.
>
> The system requirements says it requires Windows 98 Special Edition.
> What's that? Is that a paid upgrade from vanilla Windows 98? I'm
> gathering it's not just a Virtual PC glitch -- Fin2006 doesn't work
> with Win98 at all, then?

Win98SE was the *real* version, the only one that was ever worth a
warm bucket of spit (and that, just barely). It came out in the first
year after the release of Win98 and was basically a major bug fix
rolled up with additional features.

Any application that depends on features in Win98SE that weren't in
Win98 is really badly designed, as there was nothing in it that
applications should care about. Indeed, any application that is not
hardware-related and will run on Win98 but not on Win95 is also
incredibly badly designed, as the major difference between the two OS
versions was the integration of Internet Explorer into the GUI shell.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there was any upgrade to Win98SE (from
Win98), free or pay. You had to buy the full disk or get it installed
on a new PC. It was handled almost the same way Microsoft handled
Win95 SR2b (the only Win95 version that supported, kinda, USB), which
was never available except as an OEM pre-install. Win98SE actually
was available for purchase, since it completely replaced the original
version of Win98 after a while.

My only advice is to find someone with Win98SE and install it over
top of your Win98. Chances are good that you can find someone who has
the CD who doesn't have it installed on a PC any longer (which would
make the install completely legal and ethical). If I had it, I'd give
it to you, but I don't, because I never drank the Win98 Kool Aid -- I
moved all my clients from Win95 to NT4 and skipped the sad remaining
children of the Win9x family.