On 18 Jan 2006 at 15:44, Christopher Smith wrote:

> Your method certainly looks like it works. I just have to think of
> it...

I have all the benefits of Dennis's methods with ZERO EXTRA
KEYSTROKES.

I use an undelete program that runs in the background, and protects
all deleted files on my computer from overwrite until a certain
amount of space has been used up on each drive volumne.

I also see no point whatsoever with Finale in turning off the
automatic backups (unless you're annoyed by the interruptions), since
it does not endanger your data at all, since it saves under a
different file name, not to the existing filename.

The result is that I have 3 complete runs of all versions of my file,
the Autosave version, the backup version and the main MUS file
version. If the one for the time that I'm trying to roll back to
lacks information, it is likely in one of the other two versions.

I cannot recommend this kind of software strongly enough. It does
what computer software *ought* to do -- performs a task for you so
that you don't have to worry about it.

I use Executive Software Undelete, which was bought by Diskeeper in
the last year or so. Norton/Symantec used to have a "protected
recycle bin" but I found it not as useful as the undelete software
I'm using now, and came with all the problems that Norton/Symantec
software tends to have (a real drag on system performance, multiple
software dependencies).

Again, I just can't see why anyone would choose to do this manually.
I certainly have my own manual backkup procedures, but it always
seems that I forget to do them right before something catastrophic
happens. Undelete software protects you from your own mistakes while
also eliminating the extra work of maintaing the history yourself. It
also releases the disk space back for use according to your own
settings, whereas Dennis's method requires manual intervention to
clean out the no-longer-needed incremental versions when a project is
completed.

I just can't see why anyone would not see the virtue in such a
system. It's saved my bacon many times, and requires no thought or
extra effort on my part.

The only caveat is that I've found that after a few years of use, it
needs to be re-initialized, or your system can drag to a halt
maintaining all the ancient undeletion information.