>Also, my repertoire preference tilts toward the older stuff.  I'd
>love a book that's got a deep collection of standards from the 20s,
>30s, and 40s, and I'd like a fairly good sampling from before that,
>too.  I like the old musicals (eg, Rodgers & Hammerstin, Lerner &
(I'm not sure who the quote is from)

I work at a music store in the sheet music department (Lipham Music in
Gainesville, FL). There are literally hundreds of such collections
available. We must have 20 or so in stock that cover the 1920's-1950's,
not to mention musicals.  Hal Leonard and Alfred (which bought Warner
Brothers music last year)  publish a number of piano/vocal/guitar books
like that. Those collections are in the format of traditional sheet music
- a vocal line at the top and a piano part below.  Chord symbols for
guitar are placed above the vocal line.  Usually, but not always, the
piano part contains the melody.

On a side note, I've heard complaints from customers about the Hal Leonard
'legal' edition of "The Real Book" fakebook. They say it does not contain
the same titles as the originals and do not have the correct chord
symbols on some songs. I also heard a customer tell me that PDF versions
on CD-ROMs of the original "Real Book" and others can be found for sale on
ebay. Obviously not legal, but nonetheless available.

James Gilbert
http://www.jamesgilbertmusic.com/