> > On 05 May 2006, at 9:11 PM, Carl Dershem wrote:
> >
> >> In playback, being able to select a subset of parts for playback (the
> >> sax section, the violins, the [fill-in-the-blank] section.
> >
> > Again, already possible (and very easy) with mute/solo,
> mute/unmute all,
> > etc.
> >

> While possible, it isn't always that easy, depending on the size of the
> score.  I would think it would be easier to include staff lists in the
> playback dialogue, so it would be quick and easy, once the staff lists
> are defined, to simply select which staff lists to have play back.
>
> That way, in setting up the score we could define our staff groups
> (flutes, clarinets, saxes, trumpets, horns, trombones, violins, strings,
> whatever) and then simply be shown a check list.
>
> Currently, while it is certainly possible, we have to mute/solo upwards
> of 20, 30 tracks at times. And since they may well not be contiguous,
> scrolling around the list isn't all that quick or easy.
>
> I think "easy" in this case is more in the nature of the scores one
> works on most of the time.  Quartets, quintets would be easy.  Operatic
> scores with full romantic-orchestra instrumentation is a whole lot
> harder to do.
>
> --
> David H. Bailey

This feature has been available for quite some time with one of Jari's free
plug-ins, JW Playback, still available at
http://www.jwmusic.nu/freeplugins/index.html.  I use it a great deal when
I'm composing (mostly big orchestra stuff) and can't imagine doing without
it.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com