On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:05 AM, dhbailey wrote:
There's just too many variables to take into account for a computer to be allowed to be the final arbiter of what will result in the best engraving, as far as performability goes. Note-head font size, for instance. Leaving it full size makes tight spacing hard to read but reducing it just a few percent can make an illegible spacing into a much better spacing, without changing the spacing at all.

Really? Is this actually done in professional engravings? I think this must be the first I have ever heard of reducing notehead font for a passage. I know scores are routinely zoomed in or out as the numbers of staves change, but that is entire pages, not just a passage of noteheads.

Christopher