Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
I'm thinking it might be effective to have a "clip-clop" sound in the perc., but I wonder if that would be viable since it's in slow, lazy, triple time. Like, do horses amble in three-four ..it's been a long time since I've ridden?
At slow speeds, I'd think it would be a more duple time "clip clop", but to me, with an weak "clip" on beat three, and a strong "clop" on beat one, it sounds like a faster gait. Seems to me a band director told me that the traditional sound for horses hooves was an instrument made from coconut shells. Been so long ago, though, that even if I'm right, they may have been supplanted by something else.

ns