Nowdays, you can get electrical tape in a variety of colors. Not that I know why.

However, I've found that they're great for tagging microphone cables going into a mixer. I just put the same combination of colors on each end of the cable, and I then know which mic is plugged into which jack/plug.

Also, newer electrical tape tends to be less gooey than the old stuff.

Robert Patterson wrote:
The expensive tape you get from VPC binding is similar to surgical tape. The
only electrical tape I know about is black and sticky: hardly a candidate
for taping parts. What you are using is obviously different.