On 3-May-07, at 11:14 AM, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

Who was that jazz tpt. player, prominent back in the late sixties, who used to do charts with meters like 87/4, etc? I think his first name was Don .....

Most of what I saw of his had denominators like 8 and 16, denoting changing groups of subdivisions, rather than simply changing numbers of pulses.

Funny that some of his work, which sounded so out there at the time, sounds rather ordinary today! This is not a criticism or a comment on lack of sophistication, but only an observation of how comfortably he was able to groove in those odd metres, and how much of it is commonplace now.

I had a Romanian student who kept bringing in these jazz pieces in odd metres, and the students were having trouble reading them. He shook his head and said every ten year old in Romania can clap these rhythms, as they were simple folk dances. We stood up and put our arms across each others' shoulders and learned the dances, and ten minutes later the students were grooving their butts off! Once they knew how to dance it, they played it as easily as 4/4.

Christopher