To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Dotted Quarter Notes

On 15-May-07, at 2:50 PM, George Ports wrote:
I need a dotted quarter note as an indicator above the staff over a quarter rest that is in the staff. I could type the quarter note (Maestro) and then add a period for the dot but, was hoping for an easier way.
Make new text expression. Make the font Maestro 24. Type q, then period. Done. What could be easier? If you want the dot higher (I might) then select it and adjust the baseline in the Text menu. You can make it farther away by adding spaces in between of varying point sizes (darn Finale to heck for making routine kerning adjustments such a kludge!)
Now I'm having trouble creating an eighth note that has a (beam) extention instead of a flag. I can see how to do it at the end of a couple of eighths but, not just one eighth. I really searched a lot in the help section to no avail.
Yeah, this one is tougher. The beam is normally drawn as a line in Finale, and it is not a character. I would create this one as a Shape expression. Add a text character q in Maestro font, then draw a line of appropriate thickness for the beam. I always hate the Shape designer in Finale, as it is so ungraceful and unforgiving. Read up on the Shape Designer in the manual.
Christopher