On Jun 22, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Williams, Jim wrote:

I am working on an interactive jazz arranging book/DVD - whatever it's going to turn out to be - for Gary Garritan. I am convinced that this technology provides a useful sketch tool for composer arrangers who don't have musicians available, but it only serves as a severely limited interim sketch tool.

I wish I were better equipped to describe the differences between midi instrument playback (at the mundane level of notation software playback) and living musicians. It might be a useful descriptive skill to include in the book.

Chuck

Chuck,
There may indeed be some real "teachable moments" in this...would make students more aware of good performance practice and also might make for less mundane MIDI renderings as well! Has anyone authored a "jazz performance practice" text as has been done for other types of music?

Jim

Hi Jim,

No one has written that book, though I have some things that touch on the subject - especially accompanying, on the "articles" page of my web site. You are welcome to have a look. They are printable as pdfs.

Dave Berger is the guy to write the part of such a book that applies to the winds, and he and I could write the rhythm section part together. All in all, it would suggest contradictions to a lot of contemporary school learned practice.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836