At 10:26 AM -0700 6/27/07, Chuck Israels wrote:

I just got an automatic "order" email from MM for the 2008 upgrade.

Great....

Now I'll be nine years down the "upgrade" "path."

When MM abandons their incredibly offensive phone-home copy-protection scheme I will upgrade.

Until then I will not.

If they do not reverse their idiotic policy, and if it causes them to go bankrupt, I will be heartened.

Phone-home copy-protection is the most egregious threat to the continued use of owned programs that I can imagine.

What if your essential program requires a connection to company A, but company A has gone out of business?

Your program AND ALL OF ITS FILES are useless.

Unless company B has come to your rescue

Which it will, of course, do for free, because B cares so much about you.

Uh huh.

If you're lucky enough to have company B rescue you, something unlikely to happen, then they'll make you pay through the nose.

I will never tie any of my data to a phone-home copy-protection scheme.

Good luck to any who do. Watch your back.

(When I was growing up my dad always said "You make your own luck."

To my mind avoiding phone-home copy-protection is one of those lucky actions.)

-=-Dennis

.