On 5 Sep 2007 at 7:45, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 05.09.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > I'm only pointing out the weaknesses in interpretation of evidence 
> > that come from making claims about what was never there based on what 
> > is now there.
> 
> Yes, but the whole theory is based on _much_ _much_ more than that. Only 
> you haven't read it.

I've read parts of Rifkin's case, especially the basic arguments he 
put forth up until about 10 years ago (when I lost touch with the 
controversy).

Here's a free clue: I don't object to the revival of performance of 
Bach's choral music one on a part.

What I object to is the idea of righteous purity that pervades the 
utterances of those who seem so convinced of the rightness of their 
holy crusade.

Frankly, all the groups I've performed music of this period on have 
always performed one on a part (or with one or two of the parts 
doubled), simply because of practical necessity. We made no claims to 
historical authenticity -- we were just trying to get the music 
performed with the forces we had. 

Yet, the mere suggestion that Bach was doing the same thing seems to 
be treated as heresy by those devoted to the crusade.

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to